Monday, March 15, 2010
Veil right or wrong?
After reading the articles given in class I have gotten a whole new perspective on the veil. I never really knew why Islamic women wore a veil and truthfully I thought it was sexist toward them. But after reading the article about the western women who changed to Islam I understand how they feel. The women chose to wear a veil and it is not sexist at all. It actually is the complete opposite. Women basically say rather than liking me for my body, like me for my personality and brains. So I do believe that there is nothing wrong with women wearing a veil. It is their culture, their belief, and their way of life. The only problem I have with it is that it causes conflict with American rules and laws. This veil basically allows them to hide their identity. My problem is that they can't complain if they can't do many things because of their veil. It is not the westerners being ethnocentric when we don't allow Islamic women to do certain things because of their veil. We aren't going to change our culture so that they can live their culture. They are in the U.S so they will have to change their culture if they want to truthfully fit into society.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment