The story that I read was about a girl who came across a lizard giving birth on a rock. The decided to stay and try and held the lizard give birth. Later on she is brought to a djinn who was giving birth. The djinn had been the lizard earlier, only in a different form. The girl stayed with the djinn for days and helped it. When she got home she found a man who needed a wife and got him to mary a djinn. So everyone is a child of djinns and that explains why the women are so beautiful.
The wildlife element of African folklore was incorporated in the beginning with the djinn taking the form of a lizard. It has moral instruction because it teaches you to be caring and nice for animals because they are living creatures too and that you should be caring for all living things and accept them even if they are different. It is entertaining becuase it has cool creatures in it such as a lizard and a djinn.
What was entertaining about this myth was the fact that they girl was talking with a spirit the whole time. When humans interact with nonhuman life it makes it interesting and fun to read.
This taught me how African culture teaches people to respect and care for all aspects of life and their surrounding environment. It also teaches me that they have spirtual beliefs different than the West. I can apply this to my life because I have learned to respect my environment and living things. I wasn't taught it through folklore or a djinn but I learned this lesson through other stories is the West that teach moral values.
Friday, April 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment