My blog

Welcome to my blogger web page. Feel free to read any of my posts and respond. Hope you enjoy!

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Wonders of Africa

The first wonder that I read about was Zanzibar. I heard this word many times before but never knew what or meant or what it was. I found that Zanzibar is an island in the East African Coast. The island has a lot of culture and history to go with it. It has been a main port to traders and was ruled by Europeans at one point. The island is familiar to Egyptians, Phoenicians, Greeks, and Romans. It has done trade for weapons, wine, luxuries, and wheat.

The second wonder that I read about was the Tuareg people. They are in the Sahara and date back to 2000 BC. They have their own alphabet and writing script. They are believed to be the founder of Timbuktu. They have attacked many times and tried to gain control of the land and it still continues today. They attacked in the 90's in Mali and Niger.

The third wonder I read about was the pyramids at Giza. There are three great pyramids here. For a long time they were ranked as the highest structure on earth until skyscrapers began to be made. It is not sure how they were mad but the architecture is well advanced. It amazed how people could build such structures will limited technology and knowledge. They have about two million blocks of stone and each weighs over two tons.

I believe that I never heard or learned about these type of amazing and good things in Africa because they are overshadowed by the bad. All I ever hear about Africa is how bad it is and how there are so many conflicts. This made me picture Africa as poor and terrible but that's not true. This website shows a new perspective that allows us to escape all of the bad and appreciate the wonders of Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment